The tables have turned when it comes to dating and finding a potential new partner and now it’s British men who focus on the person and who they are, whereas women are more likely to seek out good looks.
Following the launch of a new Eye Bags & Dark Circles cream from Remescar, the team undertook a survey as part of an ongoing study into lifestyle factors. 2,197 Britons aged 18 and over took part in the survey, all of whom stated they were single and dating in order to find a potential new partner, were quizzed about their likes and their dislikes.
Initially all respondents were asked ‘Do you consider yourself to be fussy when it comes to meeting someone new?’ to which 61% of respondents confessed that ‘yes’ they were fussy, whilst the remaining 39% stated ‘no’ they weren’t. Of those who said they were fussy, the top reasons cited were ‘I don’t want to waste my time with someone who’s not for me’ (31%) and ‘I know what I like and what I don’t like’ (22%). The most common reason, however, for those who considered themselves not to be fussy was ‘I like to open-minded in case I find someone that’s not my usual type’ (56%).
All male respondents were asked what they looked for in a potential new partner. When provided with a list of possible responses and told to select all that applied, the top five responses were:
1. Good personality, someone to have a laugh with – 59%
2. Confidence – 56%
3. Intelligence – 42%
4. How she gets on with friends and family – 37%
5. A good family ethic – 30%
Similarly, all female respondents were also asked what they looked for a in a potential new partner. They were too provided with the same list of possible responses and told to select all that applied, the top five responses were as follows:
1. A nice smile – 71%
2. Good personality, someone to have a laugh with – 62%
3. My preferred body type – 61%
4. A good family ethic – 44%
5. Confidence – 40%
According to the poll, just 31% of male respondents admitted that they would ignore or avoid someone of the opposite sex based upon their looks, whilst 70% of female respondents admitted that they would ignore or avoid the opposite sex because of the way they looked.
Carien Veldhuis, Marketing Manager at Remescar, commented:
“The results here are interesting, highlighting that women are more likely to look at physical attributes than men are – particularly based on first appearances and whether or not they continue to engage in a conversation with them. It’s shocking to hear that so many women, and likewise so many men, will ignore someone of the opposite sex based upon the way they look; you never know, that could be your Mr or Mrs Right right there, and you’ve snubbed them because they don’t quite marry up to the image of your dream partner that you’ve built up in your head. Ultimately looks aren’t everything – at the end of the day you want to be able to have an intelligent conversation with your partner when it’s just the two of you.”