Brother & Gent was brought to life in 2015 by founder Daniel Gardner. His vision was to create a brand that would combine true gentleman’s attire with the many aspects of life that inspire him! Ultimately though, a brand that could always be relied upon for timeless quality menswear, and remembered for the message behind it’s name…
Within each product line, Brother & Gent strive to reflect its passion, inspiration and personality whilst giving the greatest attention to detail.
As well as having the opportunity to put founder Daniel Gardner in the High Street Gent hot seat, we were lucky enough to try one of the fantastic ties from the range that Brother & Gent have to offer. Before we reveal the outcome of the question and answer, we’re going to delve into the Brother & Gent stock list…
Brother & Gent have everything you need as a sartorial gent, the colours are vibrant and bold, the patterns are classy-typical of every English gent, and the accessories perfectly refine any outfit for any occasion.
Below we’ve lined up our top picks from the brand, with some brief tips on what to consider if you’re dressing for three very different occasions.
If you’re after bringing a bit of your personality to your suit and awakening you’re inner style for the office, you need to bear in mind you need to remain professional. Subtle patterns and colour pairing when it comes to accessories will exquisitely finish off your look, whilst showing your personality and keeping it suitable for the workplace. No one wants to scare off their clients with an over jazzy tie!
If you’re off to a summer wedding this year, Brother & Gent have exactly what you require to celebrate the forthcoming nuptials. When it comes to weddings, if you have a nice suit, the accessories can really enhance the look and occasion. For example, one of this seasons trends is ‘colour clash’, the Garden of England tie is bright, bold and sophisticated for a wedding, paired with a bright coloured button lapel and clashing pocket square, all the colours are bursting into action to really make a statement…just be sure you don’t upstage the bride! Take a look around at what’s on social media for examples, there’s plenty of hashtags you can search for ideas.
When it comes to wanting a classy look, we’re firm believers in less is more. Brother & Gent offer a range of accessories that can be added to any shirt and blazer combo to give it that personal tweak. The classy items listed on the website can be added as one-offs or mixed & matched to create a sophisticated look no matter what the occasion is. Against tweed, against dark colours, against light, the versatility in materials in the products at Brother & Gent mean texturised plain items seem more dignified and precise. It’s easy to choose a different material in a block colour if you’re not the patterned type. If you have a block colour suit and shirt, you’re pretty open to accessories, be bold and brave.
Brother & Gent’s Pale pink flower lapel – £6.00
Brother & Gent’s sunset knitted bow-tie – £22.00
Brother & Gent Polka Dot wool scarf – £50.00
Brother & gent burgundy & cream pocket square – £8.00
…with Brother & Gent founder Dan Gardner:
- How would you describe Brother & Gent? What is it in a nutshell?
In a nutshell it is a place where you can rely on timeless, quality menswear, and with each product feel connected through the inspired design and message that Brother & Gent are recognised and respected for. A home-grown and honest brand with values of a true gentleman.
- How did Brother & Gent start and why?It started in January 2015. Strangely, I experienced quite a sudden burst of inspiration which triggered a long evening of jotting down ideas in my notepad (whilst grinning like a mad man)! I can’t tell you exactly what had inspired me, but I had recently spent some time in London, and one shop in particular had made an impression. It was called ‘Thomas Farthing’, a shop that took you back to menswear attire from the 1920’s. You could see how the shop owners believed in their brand and really loved what they did. This gave me a boost of confidence and it may have been a combination of that stronger mentality and my desire to create something new, something inspiring, that really lead me to create Brother & Gent! Over the months that followed I made many lists, many plans, and had many ideas to how I could create a menswear brand that was something I believed in and would be truly respected by people today.
- What goes into deciding what you stock, to ensure it matches the B&G values?Most of the time I just follow my initial instinct. I know the type of products that I like personally, and I know which products that fit and represent the brands core values, so I’m usually quite confident from the outset on whether I want to have a particular product in the store or not. That being said, I do occasionally introduce the odd product that would not generally be expected – for example, a t-shirt.
- Do you have any new products in the pipeline?Indeed I do! I’ve recently finished designing the new patterns for my next collection of ties, scarves, pocket squares and cravats!
- What are your personal favourite products B&G stock?TOP 3 favourites right now would have to be the Garden of England tie, the handmade wooden tie bar and the pink & pale blue pin-stripe braces.
- Brother & Gent has grown really quickly and successfully with hard work, what would you say is key to making your brand successful when you start out?Don’t copycat other brands. Set your brand realistic goals and have a fairly simple plan for your first year. Stick to it. Believe in yourself and the brand. Most of all though – work hard and don’t stop doing what you love!
Brother & Gent have set their mission to reinstall the true meaning behind a gentleman, and to promote in every way possible the brotherly love that should guide every man’s thinking. Become part of the story today. Be Brother & Gent and set the way forward for all to follow.
The world is changing dramatically every single year – and not often for the better. The term “gentleman” was once considered as one relating to a man of good manner, high morals standards and a respectful nature to all. What ever happened to that?
Not all, but a high percentage of people today are only interested in money, power, pleasure and ultimately out for their own personal gain… this fact is a very sad one indeed!
At Brother & Gent they feel strongly about two things, 1) the importance of quality menswear and design, and 2) the mission of reinstalling real gentleman into a morally degraded world.
In this modern age it seems that so many men feel no obligation to keep up a high standard of moral conduct, or have any natural affection for others, or to just simply be a good and honest individual. Of course the cycle has to start somewhere, so they ask anyone who support or respect what they represent to set the way forward for all to follow and use #SaveTheGent!