Liar, Liar! Most common lies revealed!

Man's hands with Liar Liar tattoo across knuckles with fist clench

The UK’s biggest bluffs

888poker reveal that in a OnePoll survey of 1000 UK respondents, 84% of women said they believed it was OK to tell the occasional white lie, compared to 77% of men.

Are you a gifted liar or a second-rate fibber? Can you bluff with the best of them, or do you fold on the first hand?

Lies and statistics

Have a look at some of the most outrageous responses to the survey below, but take them with a pinch of salt – only 31% said they’d own up if they got caught lying!

There were any numbers of reasons to “call in sick” – including wanting to go fishing, “I hate my boss” and even getting married!

20% of respondents would stick to their lie if they were caught out.
42% of women have lied about their diets – a moment on the lips…
32% of people have fibbed on their CV – but the other 68% might be lying.
55% of women have lied about the price of a purchase, compared to only 33% of men…

What people bluff about the most in real life

  • 81% of people believe that it is ok to tell a white lie now and again;
  • 84% of women believe that it is ok to tell a white lie now and again, compared to 77% of men;
  • 32% of respondents admit to lying on their CV, or in a job interview, to appear better suited for the role;
  • Over 50% of people say the main reason they pretend to call in sick is because they simply don’t feel like going to work;
  • 42% of women have admitted to telling a white lie about their diet;
  • 55% of women have admitted to telling a white lie about the price of something they’ve purchased, compared to 33.3% of men;
  • Nearly 1/4 of respondents admit to regularly telling the white lie ‘I like your outfit’ to a friend;
  • The most common white lies that people tell their friends are ‘I’m on my way‘ & ‘I like your outfit’;
  • 22% of men admit to using the white lie ‘I only had one drink‘ to their partner;
  • 36% of respondents justify telling white lies to their partner because the want avoid hurting their feelings;
  • Nearly 1/4 of people justify lying to their partners because it means that they keep everyone happy;
  • Even when caught out lying, 20% of respondents would still stick to their story;
  • 31% of people would do the right thing (or the only thing) and own up when they’ve been caught out lying

So, the moral of the story is, if you’re going to tell a white lie, make sure your mates, colleagues or Mrs hasn’t read this article!

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s